Saturday, September 28, 2013

31DC2013 - Day 28: Inspired by a Flag? Pirates!

Today's theme was doing my head in in a seriously annoying way - I mean, flags are meaningful and I wasn't willing to pick my country's own flag, let alone anyone else's!

And then it hit me! There all sorts of flags, right? Why does it have to be a national flag?
So... my mind took me to the good ol' pirates flag and I'm glad it did! I  had a lot of fun doing this one and it's certainly one I'm proud of :))

I can almost say for sure I didn't see that one and a half hour pass me by - hahaha
Mind you I didn't portray a pirate's flag on my nails - rather taking the concept and using it for a skittle mani.
Warning: heavy pic post!  ;)




Arr, matey, do ye need more polish? :))





This baby was my first skull ever!
I had never drawn one or painted one or anything the sort and picked this one for orientation!
It's not perfect but I still love the bugger ;)
Especially the little blood spats on forehead and teeth - you can tell this was a mighty dangerous pirate, arr!!




Can you guess what the rest of the elements are? ;)
I know there's no flag depicted but 'inspired by' does not mean 'look alike', does it?





This one you can also see in the skull picture and believe me when I say it looks best in person that photographed. I wanted the background colour with that treasure map feeling to it and although not perfect it's still acceptable ;)




Of course one of my nails had to depict The Kraken! I looked at this picture to help me a bit.
I like how Î managed the tentacles to come out of the wave like that - not that bad for someone who has no sense of space or proportion, hey? ;)




Now, the ship was a hassle to do :(
And if you pay careful attention you'll see these isn't more than a sketchy ship, actually.
I had to redo this nail four times and managed this only on my fifth attempt! Phew!





And finally my favourite - I love this little bottle, which can be whatever you want: poison, rum, message in a bottle.
I love how I managed the cartoony effect and I'm even more proud that this is all my doing - didn't take me no inspiration picture to paint this baby *happy, happy, happy*




My favourite part? I ain't ruining anyone's national pride ;)
And I must have made some pirates somewhere happy - I hope :)




From afar it all looks neat and I'd say all nails blend naturally together, wouldn't you?
I decided on leaving it with a matte - I think it wouldn't be as fun with a shiny finish ;)


Let me know what you think in the comment section and hope the weather's playing nicely around your place - I had to make a run for photos during one of the few occasions when it wasn't pouring ;)


Hugs & Kissies,
Mina *

6 comments:

  1. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! I am loving your thumb and your index and middle and your ring and your pinky! Every single one of them is perfect! What a great mani and what a great idea sweetie :) I am loving the rustic look you gave the little map thingy and the bottle is just too cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe - yey!!! Happy you really liked them ! :)
      I just couldn't make a normal flag, now could I? ;)

      Delete
  2. LOVE it ! Love the ship :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - it was a hard one! ;)

      Delete
  3. You've totally struck me by this manicure!!! It is SO great!!!!! I like every nail!! They look so realistic and shabby (like an old pirate map) :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much, Anastasia! :)
      Really happy you liked these so much <3

      Delete

You just made this girl smile! Thank you for your comment and for sharing your thoughts with me! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...