Friday, September 27, 2013

31DC2013 - Day 27: Inspired by Artwork? Azulejo Português!

I have to thank my inspiration for today's theme to lovely Paulina. We were talking about the lovely dress she chose for her inspired by fashion nails and I told her it reminded me of 'Azulejo'.

She googled it and she said to me: now, there's a cool idea for your inspired by artwork nails.
And I was like... 'Girl! You so totally rock! It hadn't even crossed my mind' - funny how our brain sometimes doesn't notice what's right in front of our eyes.

Azulejo is a painted, tin-glazed, ceramic tilework and one of the biggest symbols of Portuguese culture, 'having been produced without interruption for the last five centuries' *proud!*

I sought for some inspiration and loosely tried to paint some of the motifs I saw here, here and here:







This is the straightaway finished look - it dried matte and I kinda liked it that way.
But, as Azulejo is meant to be tin-glazed... ;)






I added a shiny topcoat to it, just because :)
I started off with Rimmel Lemon Drop as basecoat, and then lightly sponged some white acrylic over it. 
I didn't want a pure white background, rather a worn yellowy look, with a thin white veil to it ;)




I then took my Pea Coat Blue acrylic paint and freehanded the design.
I went with a different motif for each nail, just to show some of the variety one is able to find in such pieces :)





I absolutely L-O-V-E-D wearing these nails - unique and quite artsy I must say :)
Even the colours match the traditional white and blue combo from Portuguese Azulejo <3


Let me know what you think of this one down below and make sure to come back tomorrow for some more 31DC ;)
Gladly, September is almost over, 'cause this rhythm is killing me - hahaha

Hugs & Kissies,
Mina *

23 comments:

  1. :0 mulher és super!
    Tá brutal!
    Parabéns!

    Jokas,
    Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is outstanding! I wish I could free-hand like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Emily, and don't be modest! ;)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, Marta! Happy you liked it! :D

      Delete
  4. I absolutely ADORE this. Your freehanding mimics the natural variances in the blue glaze, and the designs are just absolutely beautiful. *___*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jolène, wow! thank you so much - great compliment having you comment :))

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! I love these so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yey! Happy you liked them - thank you **

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Ana! You're a darling! :D

      Delete
  7. Sooo, sooo pretty :) I am loving how you made the "worn, yellow background". It almost looks antique :) Great job sweetie and I am so glad that I could help you with inspiration <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, sweetie! Happy you liked them - afterall you did help with the inspiration and I wanted to nail it ;)

      Delete
  8. Very elegant nail art! I once went to Valencia in Portugal (crossing a bridge from Tui in Galicia^^) and I realized this tradition. Although in Spain we also have azulejos, I could see it much more in Portugal! And loved them, as well as you nail art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much! And it's true, Spain also has a tradition with Azulejo ;)
      Valença is a beautiful city - happy you enjoyed it **

      Delete
  9. Wow! This very beautiful! Colors of azulejo remind me our Russian ornament called Gzhel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gzhel :)) but it mostly uses still life. Gorgeous manicure!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, those lil' Gzhel miniatures are quite alike indeed - how curious, hey? Thank you for sharing, Anastasia - beautiful! :))

      Delete
  10. thank you so much, Joanna - happy you think so :)

    ReplyDelete

You just made this girl smile! Thank you for your comment and for sharing your thoughts with me! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...